Monday, April 21, 2014

Essie Wedding Collection 2014

Hi guys, welcome to Monday.  Hopefully you had a fantastic weekend.  I got a ton of swatching (and relaxing) done yesterday so it was an all around good day for me.  One thing that makes today better than most Mondays is the fact that Zoya's Earth Day sale starts today.  If you aren't familiar, Zoya does an optional polish exchange program, but the real deal is that the polishes are 50% off with the code "ZDay2014".  I'm pretty sure this is the best discount Zoya does all year so naturally I've already placed my order :)  In case you were interested, I ended up ordering Yummy, Wednesday, Daul, Yara, Charla, Ivanka, Shelby, and Aurora.  Let me know in the comments if you plan on ordering and what you will be picking up!

Today I have a brand new collection from Essie.  In the past I haven't really been too keen on Essie but for some reason I have gotten really into their polishes lately.  I really enjoyed the regular Spring collection so I decided to pick up the little quad of minis from the wedding collection.  This collection consists of four polishes, meant to be sheers I think, but I will get into that.


First up, Got Engaged!, which is a shimmery pale pink which is on the peachy side.  The shimmer looks gold to me and is slightly noticeable on the nail, if you are looking for it.  The formula was streaky and I needed three coats to create an opaque look.

Now for what I was mentioning about the "sheer" quality of the polishes.  What I found is that although these polishes are supposed to be sheer, I wouldn't recommend wearing them that way.  With one or two coats, the polishes look like a streaky mess.  This is the case for all of the polishes.



Second is Love Every Minute.  Now this is what I'm talking about!  This polish to me is a mid-tone pink, slightly on the lighter spectrum, with a bit of a melon colored quality to it.  I loved this color, there was something really special about it and I think it's that touch of melon color.  It did take three coats to even everything out but the color is worth it in my opinion.




Third in the collection is Meet The Parents.  This polish is a dusty cornflower blue.  It's definitely more dusty than a stark baby blue.  This polish didn't look like anything special in the bottle but on the nail I really love it.  It kind of reminds me of acid wash jeans and I really love the color.  I used three coats below.




Last up is She Said Yes, which is a white with a hint of shimmer.  I could see the shimmer in the bottle but it didn't translate on the nail.  This one was the problem child of the set.  While the other polishes required three coats, they were three manageable coats.  This one requires four thin and carefully placed coats and I also had to wait for each coat to dry in between.  I have used this twice.  The first time I didn't wait for it to dry between coats and when I would go to do another coat, it would drag off the coats I had already put down.  This one is a dud for me.




Overall I would give this collection a good rating with a few exceptions.  The first would be to expect to have to do three coats if you pick up these polishes.  I don't think they can be worn sheer and look good.  The other is that the white polish is a complete miss.  I would skip out on that one.  My favorites, and they are big favorites, are Love Every Minute and Meet The Parents.  What do you think of this collection?

12 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you on your favorites - I really like both of those. I have to be honest, Essie has been one of my favorite brands lately too - those mini bottles are just too cute :) Great swatches too btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I love the size of the mini bottles and really like that the have the names on them :)

      Delete
  2. i find that is sometimes the case with essie polishes that they need 3 coats but the end result is really pretty. i have really liked some of their previous pastels but i will probably not be picking up this collection since i have a lot of pinks already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you. I definitely think three coats is fine if the color is worth it :)

      Delete
  3. They are gorgeous all of them - but Meet The Parents stole my heart!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Meet The Parents as well, it's such a unique color!

      Delete
  4. I think you're really going to like Yummy. I've had it for a while and it's pretty much my go-to blue for nail art!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really good to hear! I was stuck between ordering Robyn and Yummy but ultimately went with Yummy because it looked a touch periwinkle.

      Delete
  5. They're all such soft, pretty, colors :)

    I placed a big Zoya order too! I'm so excited for my new polishes. I ordered: Charla, Mimi, Rebel, Dove, Ibiza, Liberty, Giovanna, and Gilda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thanks for letting me know what you ordered Jill. Dove and Gilda definitely were on my list of possibles to order :) Giovanna is an amazing shade by the way!

      Delete
  6. There all very wearable shades! Nice collection from Essie. Great swatches and review as always too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great swatches! Thanks for your thoughts on these!

    ReplyDelete