Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Dragonfruit Ruffian Mani

Dragonfruit Inspired Nails

Hi everyone.  I hope Tuesday is treating you well.  After today's kiwi nails, which you can see here, I heard multiple times that I should do a fruit week.  I thought it was a good idea and created these dragonfruit nails last night per the suggestion from my husband.  I've never actually had dragonfruit and had to do an image search to make sure I knew exactly what a dragonfruit was :)  Below is a picture for reference.  If anyone has any fruit they would like me to recreate, feel free to leave it in the comments.


To capture the look of the dragonfruit, I started with two coats of the magenta pink, OPI That's Berry Daring.  I then freehanded a ruffian with two coats of OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls, which matches the greyish white inner fruit.  I used a small dotting tool to create dots in three colors, Essie Licorice, Zoya Noot, and Ulta Concrete Evidence.  It still didn't look quite like the milky inside of the dragonfruit, so as per the suggestion of my hubby, I added one sheer coat of OPI Don't Burst My Bubble over the dots to create a milky appearance.  I quite like the final result, what do you think?


 

23 comments:

  1. You captured this perfectly! I love the idea of a fruit week :-D I've always wanted to try dragonfruit, it looks so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Dani :) I think trying dragonfruit sounds fun!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! These are amazing :) And a fruit week is a great idea! I loved your kiwi and this one is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Paulina! I liked the first two so much, I hope I can keep it up!

      Delete
  3. These are amazing! Your dragon fruit nails look so cute! How did you manage to get the ruffian so perfect? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a steady hand I guess :) Thank you for the kind words.

      Delete
  4. These don't quite look like dragon fruit if you didn't tell me what it was, but I love the design regardless, kinda abstract hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG how cute! I love them! Can I copy them if I link to your blog?? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you can, just link to me like you said :) I can't wait to see them!

      Delete
    2. Will do! I will do them with my own take on them of course ;) not copy it exactly ;)

      Delete
    3. No worries, either is fine with me :)

      Delete
  6. Wow! These are so cool! A dragonfruit is a pretty unique fruit to be inspired by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo you fancy, huh. LOVE.

    xoxo,

    Jules of Canines & Couture
    www.caninesandcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is simply perfect, and it looks very beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love it! What a great idea with a fruit week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen the inside of a dragon fruit before. Its so pretty! It also made for a great mani :)

    ReplyDelete